Wednesday, November 24, 2010

If it were proven that soda causes heart disease, would you ban your kids from drinking it


If it were proven that soda causes heart disease, would you ban your kids from drinking it?
Studies have come out that suggest a possible link between soda and heart disease. If it were conclusively proven that soda causes heart disease, would you forbid your kids to drink it?
Parenting - 13 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
i wouldn't let them drink it regardless, too much sugar and caffeine.
2 :
It already causes enough bad stuff like tooth decay and obesity that I don't need any further studies. My frig never contained soda when my kids were growing up.
3 :
These days everything causes something.......i say we only live once so why not enjoy to the max.
4 :
I don't let my daughter drink soda anyways. Anybody that does is crazy.
5 :
Yeah. Theres plenty of juices out there that theyll get use to. No big deal.
6 :
I already forbid my kids to drink it, lol. I think that would just add to the list of why I don't allow him to have it. Food is suppose to nurish your body, not make you happy. Soda is just a whole bunch of stuff that is bad for you, esspecially high fructose corn syrup. I don't serve my child anything that has high fructose corn syrup in it. Soda also is bad for your kidneys, it is empty calories. 100% juice is better because it gives your child a serving of fruit for the day. I don't want my son to have the health problems that go along with being obese. I also don't want my kids addicted to caffiene. I think the reason the people who drink soda have heart disease is because they are overweight. So, I guess the answer to your question is yes I would forbid them to drink it, and I already do.
7 :
Absolutely, if there were conclusive, well researched and peer reviewed studies that showed heart disease linked directly to soda, I'd yank it in a new york minute. But, so far I don't think that's the case, but the soda I buy for my kids and for their friends, is made with sugar, and not corn syrup. corn syrup has been shown to cause inflammation, and that can be in different parts of the body, and I suppose the heart as well. It's not easy to find it with sugar, but some brands do not put corn syrup, or high fructose corn syrup in it.
8 :
Well when i have kids I am not going to allow them to drink pop until high school anyways...its bad for there teeth, its surgary, it dehydrates you. which effects everything..i have kidney problems so i can't do that. So you know what it doesn't matter its gonna be off limits anyhow...im not stuoid i realize that my kids will have one at a friends house or at a party but that doesn;t mean i have to encourage it or give it to them.
9 :
proved that is caused heart disease? or proved that it was a factor is causing heart disease? those are too different things. kinda like saying holding a loaded gun to your head and pulling the trigger causes death compared to saying that going hunting during deer season may result in an accidently GSW. If they proved that drinking soda directly led to heart disease I would say no way no more. do not pass go do not collect $200.00 But they will never be able to prove that. But they already know that soda is a contributing factor to childhood obesity and I still let my kids drink it. Everything in moderation. Anything in excess can be harmful to you. )Yes even health foods if you don't eat a balanced diet)
10 :
this is like those junk science studies in the 80's. OMG so an so food causes cancer! (if you eat 80 pounds of it a day). moderation is the key. I defy you to prove that one soda a day has any health effects at all. on the same token it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that 10 sodas a day will have consequences.
11 :
hell ya i wouldnt let my kids drink soda and gwt heart disease
12 :
yes, but my daughter won't be given any soda ever, juices, milk, and water are just fine for her.
13 :
Easily. We don't keep soda in the house now - it's a rare treat as it is


 Read more discussions :