Thursday, May 20, 2010

A link between heart disease being the leading cause of death for women, and the birth control pill


A link between heart disease being the leading cause of death for women, and the birth control pill?
I've been researching the pill lately as a birth control option, and the more I read about it, the more alarming I find it. If heart disease is the leading cause of death for women, is there a connection between this and the birth control pill, which from a few prescribing information sheets I've read, list heart attack and stroke as potential side effects? Here's one link that mentions the risk (it plays up the risk as being greater if you smoke, but even if you don't, the risk is still there. Potential heart attack from taking a pill?) http://www.thepill.com/html/ppil/faq.jsp?#faq5
Heart Diseases - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
good for you... being informed is half the battle... pharmaceutical companies would word it differently than you have, and they have.... but then again, they stand to make millions at the cost of women's lives.... I would be willing to bet that most women connected to the top honchos of these companies are not on the pill.
2 :
I'm glad you're informed, but i have a problem with the fact that heart disease is the leading cause of death. The fact is that nobody dies of "old age" anymore. Old people are considered to have died from heart failure because their hearts stop. So I think the government is screwing us over by skewing the statistics. Hope that helps.
3 :
I think the increase in the rate of death from heart disease has more to do with the drastic increases in obesity in women much more so than the pill. The correlation between between obesity and heart disease is well proven. Stroke, etc assocatiated with the pill has more to do with the increased risk of blood clots. I'm a nurse and have been on the pill for 10+ years. The female OB/GYNs I know take the pill also.
4 :
I think there is a link between the pill and cervical cancer also and cysts. You didn't hear about cervical cancer before the pill came along?? So it quite possible for heart disease?



 Read more discussions :